Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Sending off shocks Wenger

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger said he did not know why he had been sent off during the UEFA Champions League clash with Sevilla.
Wenger was ordered from the side of the pitch by Eric Braamhaar during the second half as his Gunners side went down 3-1 in Andalucia.
In the process, the weakened visitors lost their 28-game unbeaten run stretching back to April as well as surrendering top slot in Champions League Group H.
A frustrated Wenger said after the match: "I don't know why I was sent-off. I am really surprised. I had no exchanges with the ref at all."
Wenger appeared to be involved in a running battle with the fourth official for much of the match which Arsenal led thanks to Eduardo da Silva's 11th minute effort.
However, they soon lost their advantage as the hosts ran out worthy winners thanks to goals from Seydou Keita, Luis Fabiano and a Fredi Kanoute penalty.
Difficult
"When I was down (on the touchline) I said it was naive to let him gain that time. The fourth official was really difficult for the whole game. I wanted to ask him why I had been sent off."
Wenger also seemed unsure where to stand after being ordered away from pitchside.
"I did not know where to go. I could not get in the stand," he complained.
Arsenal skipper Kolo Toure was also critical of Braamhaar.
Toure, who manfully marshalled a weakened Gunners defence, said: "We gave everything. I don't like to talk about the referee but tonight he was a little bit difficult for us.
"The ref sometimes helped them but when you go away it is always like that but they deserved their win. We gave everything but that's the way football goes."

No comments: